Independent Life Learning
Therapy based learning
What is W.I.L.L?
A therapy based learning program, created for teens with High Functioning ASD and or ADHD. Those who are unable to reach their fullest potential in a main stream environment.
Our mission is to:
§ Bring families closer together
§ Integrate participants back into main stream education and or further education
§ Gain meaningful employment
Behavioural and Personal Growth Objectives
• Minimise negative behaviours driven by anxiety
• Create a sense of self-worth, self-belief and participant confidence
• Develop the ability to interact confidently with the public and the community
Life Skills Objectives
• Teach basic business management skills (Xero, Excel, Web Development, Blogging, Marketing, Money Management etc)
• Provide opportunities for young people to learn sufficient life skills to develop independence
• Offer programs so that participants can generate an income from their own small business, thereby building their own sense of self-value
• Increase future employment opportunities through programs such as specialised training and work experience.
Family Support Objectives
• Minimise the number of ‘out of school’ appointments by having WILL therapists and medical practitioners available to participants
• Provide formal and informal counselling and mediation services
• Offer care givers assistance in navigating the multitude of resources and services available to families and individuals diagnosed with ASD
Participants are placed in small groups of no more than four. Each teen is carefully selected to ensure the dynamic of the learning environment is successful for them all.
Each activity has been custom created by experts in their fields to provide teens with confidence, create a sense of self worth, teach self-regulation, social and life skills. Most activities are supported by two qualified therapists and/or one therapist and an Independent Skills Support Worker.
Participants are engaged in a weekly timetable of therapy based learning, including Art Therapy, Strength & Fitness, Mindfulness, Life skills and Confidence building. Additional timetabled activities include, Woodwork, Welding, Cooking, Agriculture, IT and Business Management.
Each day starts with mindfulness practices, including meditation, interacting with animals and working in the gardens. Throughout the day their Support Worker couriers them to their scheduled therapies and/or specialist appointments.
NB: more employment experiences will become available as the program evolves.
Once a week the teens engage with the community by having a stall at a local market, providing them with the opportunity to sell their creations from Art, Woodwork and any other therapies where they have created a salable product. This will provide them the practicalities of running a small business.
What W.I.L.L is not!
This is not a school!
It is not run by a teacher*!
*We do have a qualified and registered teacher on our team to assist as required.
What is it then?
Put simply, W.I.L.L is a rehabilitation program for teens on the spectrum who are unable to reach their fullest potential due to challenges related to their diagnosis.
Who would this program suit?
Teenagers diagnosed with High Functioning ASD and or ADHD
who do not require the supports provided in a special school environment.
difficulty coping with change to routine or surroundings.
challenges around verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
behavior issues severe enough to be obvious to the casual observer.
unusual or reduced response to social cues, communication, or interactions.
trouble adapting to change.
Families who are fully committed to work together with all participants, volunteers, therapists, specialists and others investing their time, to achieve the common goal of providing a safe environment, allowing individuals to grow in the areas of Self-Worth, Confidence, Self-Regulation, Independence and Academics.